T-3 PEOPLE! T-3 DAYS. This Sunday, I’ll be running my second marathon in beautiful San Francisco, and I could not be any more anxious or excited. I think I’ve told a good number of people that marathons are just not my distance. 26.2 is a loooooong ways, my friends.
Let me use this time to clarify. It’s a pet peeve of mine when people refer to pretty much all races as “marathons.” No. There is a very distinct difference. A half marathon is 13.1 miles, and a full marathon is 26.2 miles. So often, I run a half marathon and my friends and acquaintances will talk about how awesome it is that I just ran a marathon, and it makes me cringe a little bit. simply because the training and the distance for a marathon are at a whole other level. Saying that I just completed a marathon is just not true, and it irks me to hear congratulations on something I didn’t deserve or earn. I know what it feels like to complete a marathon and it is far different from finishing a half marathon.
But anyway, there’s that. This weekend, I will complete a marathon and I can truly and honestly say that I will have deserved it! A few weeks ago after my last long training run, I vented about the distance. Marathons are just … long. The training has gone well for the most part, though I have felt sluggish on my long runs and I’m working with a slight shin splint on my left leg. Nevertheless, I’m pumped, excited, and quite frankly, terrified for Sunday.
Well, we hear that if something scares us, it might be a good thing to try. So, 26.2, here I come! As per usual, below is a snippet of some of the music I’ll be listening during the race. I have a good mix of a lot of things, and I even added a Krewella album that I have not even listened to in full, so we’ll see how it goes! Regardless, I focused my music on all upbeat songs this time around, just to keep my energy up.
- “Wasting All These Tears” – Cassadee Pope
- “Hurts Like Heaven” – Coldplay (kind of an oldie, but I listened to this last Thursday during my run and couldn’t help but sing, dance, and bob my head during it! Completely made me smile)
- “This” – Darius Rucker
- “All Night” – Icona Pop (love!)
- “Last Chance” Feat. Project 46 – Kaskade
- “Atmosphere” – Kaskade
- “Dear Boy” – Avicii
- “Heart Upon My Sleeve” – Avicii
- “Live For The Night” – Krewella
- “Stay the Night” Feat. Hayley Williams – Zedd (another huge favorite!)
- “Keep Your Eyes Open” – Needtobreathe (thanks Angie!)
- “What Now” (R3hab Remix) – Rihanna
- “Kyoto” Feat. Sirah – Skrillex (courtesy of Miss Shannon Buckles)
Any songs or music I missed? Let me know if you have other suggestions! Happy marathon racing weekend!